Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Synthesizer Remix of the Renaissance

Here's a quick three point synopsis of this blog entry: 1.) Perceived expectations of experiences versus actual experiences in the Renaissance course, 2.) An alteration in self understanding as a result of the course, 3.) Growth in comprehension of the Renaissance as evinced by the progression of blogging.

1.) I originally presented a sort of idea that, "I project that this class shall encompass thematic flow in Renaissance art, establishing general trends to explain ideology behind approaches to painting, sculpture, music, architecture." This kind of expectation was entirely met and more so, exploring the roots of the Renaissance in its Grecian and Roman roots proved to be something altogether more powerful and influential after experiencing the locales around which these things were constructed.  Castiglione's Renaissance representations in The Courtier was lived out directly in Urbino!  We even got to study the architects of the Florentine Duomo and Dante before visiting their home town, Firenze!  This kind of effect is something entirely other-worldly, ethereal even!  Not enough can be said for the benefits of actually studying abroad, as opposed to taking an easy class with the excuse then to go traveling on your own.  But then specifically in response to the Renaissance, I learned much more in depth examples and snibits of historical Renaissance figures' works.  In combination with this aspect I also was very pleased with the sort of haphazard arrangement of the course material.  It was not arranged necessarily by thematic or even chronological order, but rather arranged around cities attended.  This sort of beautiful way of class organization led to a distinct connection with intellectual information on those locations.  This kind of connection is something I scarcely doubt shall ever depart from me.  I didn't really understand the variety in which the term text would be employed for this course but I also now truly understand how I might be capable of comprehending the concepts behind the Renaissance equally as well in utilizing a piece of music as a glorious painting as a piece of architecture as a philosophical text.  This kind of  enlightened state shall perhaps liberate my intellectual endeavors from merely pursuing the stylings of the traditional philosopher but stem over into other disciplines and explore their philosophies. Ultimately the interdisciplinary status of the Renaissance has spilled over into my life to form a more interdisciplinary understanding of the nature of education in general.
It grew to be apparent that my expectations for the course in many ways would always pale in comparison to the original.  I was attempting to craft my expectations in light of the other courses  but this course was designed in special circumstances and respects.  It seems to me rather influential to include the study of a locale and its products before visiting it.  If Urbino can be any kind of indicator, our class reflected a more honest and potent reaction to the art, history, and hard work present through the "crown of the Renaissance" (as our tour guide informed us Urbino was once known).
In general, the course covered the art side with much greater depth than I once expected it to, especially musically speaking.  IT did not provide the mathematical side of architecture that I once hoped for, but I think that was fairly balanced with a greater exploration of other areas of art.  The philosophy of the course I thought was also fundamental to the function of the course.  Not only were Renaissance philosophies covered, but their sources and inspirations were also given fair review to the extent that I was even granted access into my own misconceptions on some of the matters of my own major, philosophy!  Quite impressive indeed. 


2.)  Here's a fascinating tidbit:  I think I have become much more open to many of the concepts of Roman Catholicism being here in Italia than any other time I had interacted with it.  I think I had a much harsher and protestant understanding of things like relics and cathedrals before my trip to Italia as evinced by this early excerpt: "I want very much to see what the church's influence was on the Renaissance and to what purposes and ambitions things were aimed artistically.  Why does the church need such elaborate structures, paintings, and art in general?"  I now understand that perhaps the church has reserved the best things for God and that through the neo-Platonic ideologies of the ability of art and music to access the world of Forms and grant passage into the Divine Frenzy.  I am willing to claim Saint Francis of Assisi as my patron saint now!  This is something that prior to this trip seemed unimaginable and altogether heretical.  And yet here I am, professing a Franciscan sort of patronage.  Part of this is crucially tied to Saint Francis' service as a gateway to the Renaissance: "It may in fact be due to the humanist and nature loving thoughts of Francis that so many artists were able to shake the Eastern Orthodox-esque limitations on the depiction of reality in art."  This is perhaps a sort of spill over from the self understanding and the Renaissance understanding, but this is a special conglomerate.
There is also the realization that I am much more Renaissance-esque in nature than I would once purport.  This realization is important in the sense that the denial of my liberal-arts, virtuous, and humanist roots would be to deny much of my upbringing, in college and prior.  Though I recognized my liberal arts background in my first blog ("On this level I hold strong hopes that the course shows me a lot more of the influences that the Renaissance has on my daily life, aside from the fact of my Scholastic endeavors' inclination towards liberal arts.")  This has shown me just how heavily the Renaissance has affected my life and continues its positive hold in my life.  I think my blog betrays, too, how I begin to understand my connection with the past and the world at large.  It challenges me to no ends to find a concise example of this specific development but it can be seen laced throughout my blogs, whether we observe an arduous and terrifying train ride shifting to "I hopped a train" by the end of the trip or the very fact that I am now determined to achieve dual citizenship with the European Union and the USA, which should be expedited in my father's maintained citizenship with Holland.


3.) To show my understanding of the Renaissance as it enhanced, I see a slew of progression throughout my blogs.  I began the course by anachronistically drawing corollaries between the Renaissance and later time periods: "It seems like the Renaissance is directly reflected in the peoples of Europe just before WW I. " But quickly recognized the eccentricity of this time period, for its Creativity, Self Consciousness, Individualism, Secularism, and Humanism.  These central concepts pop up through out my blogs, thanks, no doubt, in large part to my fantastical instructors who informed our conceptions of the Renaissance in ways heretofore unimagined.  Knowing that I'd never even looked or criticized art (cognitively) before this Renaissance course make recognition of balance, color schemes, and formal criticism performed in blogs all the more impressive to my eye: "The balance in this piece is clever in recognition of the split between the sky and the ground and the battle scene in contrast to the body of water in the left corner creates an off center, yet oddly balanced piece."  Learning and recognizing huge portion of vastly important architectural and "rebirth" style science and art shows that my practice in the Renaissance was truly benefited and enhanced by the interaction with my class: "This is what Brunelleschi offered to the Renaissance: a rebirth for the appreciation and application of Roman architecture.  The product made possible was the once thought impossible establishment of the dome on the Basilica that remained uncovered for 80 years: the Duomo.  Using an ingenious mixture of Roman and Gothic architecture, Brunelleschi was able to achieve what many before him for nearly a century couldn't. "  What must certainly not go without notice is the fantastic work of our professors though.  By no means did I have to struggle to learn foreign concepts, nor contort my mind to comprehend my assignments.  Surely not!  Nay in fact I was so relieved to find accommodating, understanding and helpful people at the helm of this "rebirth" ship that I never even had to check the astrolabe for fear of going off course.
All metaphors aside, recognizing and following those prefacing and defacing (ha) the Renaissance way, especially those who served as harbingers of the way to come, like Dante or Saint francis, made it possible for me to grasp the way of the Renaissance to come: "Dante Alighieri portrays many of the attributes that we see common to the Renaissance period, including, but not limited to, an historical self consciousness, secularism, humanism, a utilization of tempered rationalism, and a revitalization and appreciation of the ancients."
Visiting the architecture and art of the Renaissance certainly taught me valuable lessons and gave me opportune glimpses into the true venue of the Renaissance message.  The David(s) in Firenze afforded me the fantastic chance to learn the place of civic pride in the Renaissance and the true effects of the rise of Humanism in the Renaissance: "David is seen as a prime example of the capability of humanity to reach near divine status, to be a man after the heart of God, to unite the 12 discordant tribes of Israel, to reign forever strong in guiding the kingdom of Israel: this is the man in the bible chosen to represent Firenze, the center of the Renaissance."


What a fantastic experience!  

No comments:

Post a Comment